A recent Belgian study found that teenagers who spent more than 100 hours swimming in chlorinated pools were up to six times more at risk of having asthma than other teens who swam mostly in pools sanitized with a mix of copper and silver. Similarly, the odds for hay fever were between three and six times higher for those who swam in chlorinated pools for more than 100 hours.
According to toxicologists, these figures mean that the impact of pool chemicals on the respiratory health of children and adolescents in terms of incidence of asthma and allergic diseases appears to be more significant than that associated with secondhand smoke.
Read the full story here.
Check out the latest issue of D’Amore Law Group’s Living Safer magazine!